Summer Institute is an intensive theatre training program for youth ages 13 – 18. Students explore “art for social change,” and learn how to leverage their passion for the performing arts to make a real difference in the world. We admit students who can demonstrate leadership, a passion for the arts, and a commitment to social justice issues. This four-week program culminates in an original ensemble performance.
Dates of the Program:
• Jun 22, 2019: Student and Parent Orientation
• Jul 8-Aug 3, 2019
• Jul 11: Overnight Retreat at the University of Minnesota
• The first three weeks of classes (Jul 8 -26) are held at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.
• The final week of classes (Jul 29-Aug 2) are held at Penumbra Theatre Company in St. Paul.
• Classes run Monday through Fri from 8:00am until 5:00pm
• There will be one overnight dorm stay at the U of M, the evening of Thu, Jul 11, 2019.
• Students must be committed to the entire program and cannot miss more than 3 full days of classes in order to participate.
• New students will perform on the evenings of Fri, Aug 2nd and Sat, Aug 3rd at Penumbra Theatre. Aug 2nd will be a private performance for Summer Institute families and friends. Aug 3rd is a public ticketed performance. Tickets available at our website.
Tuition and Scholarships:
• Tuition is $400.00. Tuition includes classes, registration, and U of MN overnight.
• There is no fee for applying to Summer Institute. No form of payment is required until you have been accepted into the program.
• Once you have been accepted into the program, tuition will be due at the mandatory parent meeting on Sat, Jun 22, 2019. Payment must be submitted at that time in the form of cash, check, or credit card.
• Penumbra Theatre offers full or partial scholarships to students in need who meet scholarship requirements. In order to be considered for a scholarship you must complete the scholarship information at the end of your application.
Transportation and Food:
• Bus passes will be provided free of charge for students in need of transportation
• Snacks and lunches are provided on a daily basis
For questions or more information please contact Tiffany Johnson at 651.288.6795 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Summer Institute gave me a purpose as a woman and person of color to share my personal experience without oppression and judgement.”
—Rahila Coats, Summer Institute Alumna